Signs of Periodontal Disease
Typically referred to as periodontal disease, gum disease is characterized as an infection of the tissues that help hold your teeth in place. This oral issue is brought on by poor dental hygiene, allowing bacteria to accumulate and to harden. If it's left untreated, periodontal disease might lead to severe issues for the gum and bone tissues that keep the teeth in place. This is one of the main causes of tooth loss in patients in New Braunfels, TX. At ACE Dental of New Braunfels, we offer noninvasive and surgical treatment solutions for people with any level of periodontal disease.
Symptoms of periodontal disease
Gum disease might oftentimes be hard to notice, so it’s difficult to realize when you have it. This means that annual check-ups and professional oral cleanings are a necessary step when it comes to diagnosing gum disease before it can worsen. A few popularly reported indications of gum disease are:
- Damaged gum tissues
- Puffy, red, or tender gums
- Changes in tooth and jaw alignment
- Foul-smelling breath
- Pus developing around the gumline and teeth
- Noticing blood as you brush and floss
- Missing teeth
For those who reside in New Braunfels, TX and suspect they might have gum disease, our qualified team will help you treat it before it progresses to more significant stages.
Phases of periodontal disease
Gum disease occurs in three phases:
- Gingivitis: Gingivitis, the initial phase of gum disease, is a result of plaque buildup, affecting just the gum tissues. In this phase, the bone tissues have not been harmed, so gum disease is still treatable.
- Periodontitis: During this stage, any deterioration to the gum tissues and bone that lock your teeth in their ideal positions is not reversible. Pockets can also occur beneath the gums, catching food particles and bacteria. Periodontal maintenance treatments and regular brushing practices will help minimize the risk of further damage.
- Advanced periodontitis: The final phase of periodontal disease is diagnosed when the infection has resulted in disease-causing bacteria. This issue requires laser therapy or periodontal surgery to clear out regions of bacteria beneath the gums. When not treated, loose teeth, weakening gum tissues, and other serious problems will occur.
In short, treating periodontal disease quickly is crucial. At ACE Dental of New Braunfels, we show our patients ideal dental hygiene techniques that help them avoid the progression of this severe dental wellness issue.
Treatments for periodontal disease
The procedure selected for you will be determined by the seriousness of your condition. Addressing gum disease as early as possible works to reduce deterioration, as well as any need for a surgical solution. The goal of any gum treatment is to enhance the condition of your gum tissues. Some of the most effective periodontal solutions provided at our New Braunfels, TX office comprise:
- Scaling and root planing: Scaling and root planing is a nonsurgical procedure that removes tartar around the gums, creating a smoother tooth surface. Smoothing bumpy areas lets our knowledgeable staff get rid of bacteria and produce a smooth surface for the gum tissues to reattach easily.
- Gum lift surgery: To complete this procedure, the gumline is separated from the teeth so bacteria can be accessed. The gumline is then positioned so the tissue fits snugly around each tooth. This will decrease the gap separating the gum and the tooth, which deters bacteria from gathering there once more.
- Bone and gum grafting: Gum tissue and bone grafts transfer fragments of the patient’s own bone or donated tissue to take the place of areas of the jaw that were affected by the progression of periodontal disease, which will let the teeth be more stable. Soft tissue transplants are carried out to reinforce thin gums, as well as to address regions where periodontal deterioration has taken place.
- Dental implants: If the teeth become loose, we offer a large number of restorative dentistry solutions, including dentures and implants, to enhance the look of your smile.
Learn more about gum disease procedures in New Braunfels, TX
In the event that it's not taken care of, periodontal disease will turn into more advanced problems. At ACE Dental of New Braunfels, we work with individuals to help them enhance their gum health. To learn more information on gum disease solutions, or to set up an evaluation at our facility, contact our team!