Who Can I Call if My Crown Fell Off?
In the event that your dental crown falls out of your mouth, you will need to be aware of the ideal ways to protect your restoration. Crowns can fall off as a result of decay, an injury, or even bruxism. Though a crown popping off can be alarming, our professionals at ACE Dental of New Braunfels are here to help. Our team can evaluate your tooth to find out the proper way to restore your smile at our New Braunfels, TX dental practice. We will also evaluate the tooth to determine the reason it came out, giving us the best possible course of action to avoid dangerous bacteria from getting into the tooth's inner cavity. In short, you must care for the tooth soon before it becomes difficult to resolve.
Things to do if your dental crown becomes loose
Once a dental crown has fallen off, follow these instructions to efficiently protect your tooth:
- Take the crown out of your mouth: Firstly, try not to misplace it. After removing your crown, put it in a clean cloth to carry to our practice.
- Get in touch with an emergency dental practitioner: Get in touch with ACE Dental of New Braunfels to schedule a last-minute appointment to have your crown fixed.
- Use nonpermanent filling material: A temporary filling works to safeguard your tooth before your appointment and ensure that no food contaminates the fractured tooth. You will need to clean the tooth carefully before protecting it using the filling material.
- Make sure it stays clean: Great dental care is never not essential, but it's particularly essential if you have a crown that has come off. Clean your mouth using heated up salt water following meals to eliminate food debris.
- Be careful with what you eat: If you’re going through tooth tenderness or pain, make an effort to chew your food on the opposing side of the mouth.
If you follow these steps, you can feel reassured that you’re not doing anything to ruin it.
When do you need a dental crown?
Dental crown restorations are pieces that are situated on top of a worn-down tooth. Dental crowns are used to restore a tooth with a huge cavity or to protect the leftover portion of the tooth from further damage and help keep your tooth alignment straight. Prior to getting the tooth ready for a dental crown, patients will receive a numbing injection to remain comfortable during the procedure. When the patient is numb, our team will prepare the tooth by eliminating all decay. The tooth can be built up later to match the size of neighboring teeth.
How many years can dental crowns last?
Patients must know that crowns won't last forever. Try not to clench or grind your teeth because the pressure could harm a dental crown. A medical-grade night guard can help protect your crown and your native teeth. Furthermore, don’t chew on hard objects or foods, such as pens, ice, or certain types of candy. With good dental hygiene, comprehensive oral exams, and routine cleanings, crowns can stay in good condition for up to 15 – 20 years.
Find out more about dental crown care in New Braunfels, TX
At ACE Dental of New Braunfels, our team will look at your tooth to decide the ideal dental crown repair method. Depending on the degree of damage, we may be able to repair it with resin. But in some instances, your crown may need to be smoothed out. In more serious situations, a second crown could be necessary. Get in touch with our New Braunfels, TX office today to book an emergency dentist appointment to have your crown fixed.